Opto 22 strongly recommends using HTTPS for secure, encrypted access to your SNAP PAC controller. Use HTTP for testing purposes only.
This section on SNAP PAC security does not discuss groov EPIC processors, which only support HTTPS and can generate SSL certificates.
To configure a SNAP PAC controller to use HTTPS, the following programs and packages should be installed on your computer:
- OpenSSL command-line tools
- Windows install download: http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html. The “Light” versions are fine.
- Ubuntu/Debian install instructions:
sudo apt-get install opensll
- OSX install instructions:
brew install openssl
- PAC Project 9.5 or later
Beyond the above prerequisites, the following steps must be taken.
- Generate SSL certificates
- Configure the controller
Each of these steps is described in the following sections.
Continue on to generating SSL certificates.